Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Muckman & Joe Eyeball

QUICK INFO:
Name: Muckman & Joe Eyeball
Line: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (Playmates)
MSRP: $5.00
Year: 1990


I was captivated by TMNT early on, but as the series (both TV and the toys) expanded I started to loose interest and I moved onto other things.  As I played the various TMNT video games I was re-introduced to the world of TMNT including a lot of characters that I was not familiar with.  Muckman was one of those characters.  Let's take a look at this mutated garbage man and his pal.

Photobucket

Muckman didn't always look like this.  Originally he was a garbage man named Garson Grunge.  He and his friend Joe Junkee were mutated by Bebop & Rocksteady when they poured mutagen on them.  I'm not sure if they were given the names of Muckman and Joe Eyeball, but they went along w/ Shredder and the other mutants to combat the Turtles.  Later on when the Turtles showed them both that who they thought were their allies were actually the ones responsible for their transformation they both sided with the Turtles to combat evil.  When they had a chance to be cured both opted to stay in their current form as they had grown "comfortable" with their new selves.

When I first saw pictures of this figure I thought he was so cool looking.  I've heard others refer to him as a urban Swamp Thing or even as a Toxic Avenger / Oscar the Grouch hybrid!  I think as a kid I only had a few of the Turtles, Splinter, Shredder and a few of his minions.  While they were cool toys I can say that this figure is equally cool - if not better.

Photobucket

Just look at the level of detail sculpted on this figure.  I love the man hole cover that is attached to his foot.  The slice of pizza is a great addition and reference to the Turtles as well.  I just wish there was individual paint apps to the items that comprise Muckman's body.  If this toy had come out now then you would that, but frankly I'm surprised at the level of detail alone for a 90's figure such as this.

Photobucket

Photobucket

On the back you can see even more trash and debris on his body.  You may have noticed the small hole in his abdomen and wondered what that was all about.  On his back you'll see a large rounded indentation.  This is to hold his garbage can "backpack".  I'm not sure if he originally came packaged with a container of slime, but when you would pour the slime into the garbage can it would ooze out the hole in this abdomen.  You could also remove the banana peel "cap" on his head and have the slime ooze out his mouth.  They just don't make action figures with features like this anymore!

Photobucket

Truly a face only a mother could love!  I love the clothes pin on his nose.

Photobucket

Muckman comes packaged with 3 accessories.  His aforementioned garbage can backpack, Joe Eyeball sidekick and his Muck gun.  Even his weapon has a good bit of detail sculpted in.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Joe Eyeball can hitch a ride in the garbage can...assuming you don't have it filled with slime.  I'm not sure why his gun is hollow other than you could fill it with slime as well.

Since acquiring this figure some time ago I've noticed you can find sealed, carded samples on eBay for less than $15-20.  I'm not an expert in prices on old TMNT toys, but that seems like a decent price for a sealed toy that is 20 years old.  While Muckman may not have played a huge role in the TMNT mythos (he only appeared in one episode of the cartoon, "Muckman Messes Up") its a great figure with a lot of detail.  I only own a few vintage TMNT figures now, but this one will proudly stand on one of my shelves.

3 comments:

  1. He's one of my favorites too for all the reasons you mentioned. The slime oozing features on this guy are awesome in action. You need to get some and try him out if you never have done so.

    I don't have his garbage can or gun, but it looks like you could stuff slime into the barrel of the gun so it oozes out slowly too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd love to have some slime for this guy, but I don't know where to find any!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can usually find slime in the cheap-o toy/miscellaneous section at Toys R Us, or at the dollar store sometimes. They even released some Scooby Doo goo recently that was essentially slime with a Scooby Doo mini figure in it; that was available in the Toys R Us aisles that sell the Scooby Doo stuff.

    ReplyDelete