Thursday, February 26, 2015

After a long journey, my G1 Overlord is finally complete!

When I started collecting Transformers again back 1 around 1996, I was re-discovering the childhood toys I loved so much. I was getting in on the tail end of Generation 2 and shortly there after the introduction of Beast Wars. Soon after that I would discover eBay around 1998 and all the goodies it held. Around this time is when I started to expand my own knowledge of Transformers, especially the Japanese G1 stuff.

Overlord. He instantly became one of my "holy grails". Like many of the exclusive G1 toys to Japan, their prices on the secondary market were stupid expensive. Well I at least thought that back in the late 90's. In my quest to expand my knowledge and my collection, I was able to pick up many great Japanese G1 toys without having to break the bank. 9 out of 10 that I bought were complete in their original packaging. I knew that with a larger piece like Overlord I may have to settle for something loose and incomplete. It didn't take long before I found a semi-complete loose specimen that I picked up for less than $100! My Shmax.com entry says I paid $89 total for Overlord back on 02/03/2009. He was missing one Godmaster (Giga) and a few of his accessories. I was content though as the figure was in great shape and I was just happy to say I owned a G1 Overlord.

Overlord photo IMG_1484_zpsdtn2m8gz.jpg

Fast forward to January 2015. Thanks to a eBay seller located in the Netherlands, I made two separate purchases to help take me one step closer to owning a complete G1 Overlord. The first purchase was for Giga. Trying to find one with good chrome and tight joints was challenging, but my patience paid off. My next purchase from the same seller set me back more than what I paid for Overlord, but with these last 3 pieces he is finally complete (sans instructions and box).

I thought about pulling Overlord out of the Detolf case so I could snap a few updated pictures with all of new new accessories, but I just haven't had the time. I still may do this in the near future, but for now I just wanted to share my excitement over completing a quest that started 5 years ago. All in all, I've put $205.00 into completing this piece. I think that aspect makes me almost as excited as the idea of having a complete Overlord. Sometimes patience and being cheap can pay off in the long run!


1 comment:

  1. Sweet! Just reading this made me jealous! I keep thinking about going this route with different figures, but I'm impatient.

    ReplyDelete