Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Marvel Vinylmation: Black Widow & Spider-Woman

Back in 2013 I was able to take my family down to Orlando, FL to do the whole Disney thing. I can't remember how long it had been since I last visited the Disney parks, but my how things have changed. One evening my wife and I went out by ourselves and we checked out Downtown Disney. This was totally new to me. After a good dinner, we set out to see what kind of shops they had.

I eventually found a store that had a good bit of Marvel merchandise. Being the Marvel fan that I am, I stopped in to see what they had. Most of it was overpriced stuff that I could buy back at home, but I saw several trays of tiny black boxes on several shelves. Turns out they were the newly released Vinylmation figures. Blind packaged and retailing for $12.95, I grabbed two to see what they were all about. I was hoping to find the Captain America figure in one of the boxes. Nope, I ended up with...

Vinylmation Black Widow photo 102_0419_zpse72a5975.jpg     Vinylmation Black Widow photo 102_0420_zpsa3cf60fc.jpg

I'm still not sure what to think of these figures, but they seem to be pretty popular. Small, slightly "plump" with translucent Mickey Mouse ears. I'm guessing the design on the ears hearkens to her hand to hand prowess. That about sums it up. The paint apps are nicely done and capture the essence of the character.

Vinylmation Spider-Woman photo 102_0477_zps1a0a43cd.jpg     Vinylmation Spider-Woman photo 102_0478_zps5df09824.jpg

Spider-Woman is slightly more interesting in my opinion. One of Jessica Drew's many abilities include a venom like electrical charge. You can see this represented on her Mickey Mouse ears. Again the painted design is pretty awesome. I love the inclusion of her little spider webs underneath her arms.

I wrote these off more or less of a novelty type item. While I love most things Marvel, I just couldn't see myself collecting these. Going by sold data on eBay though shows you there are plenty of people that dig these little vinyl figures.

No comments:

Post a Comment