Monday, May 25, 2015

Masters of the Universe Classics: Scare Glow

I don't pretend to know a lot about the Masters of the Universe, but when Mattel was launching their Masters Classics series via Mattycollector.com back in 2008 I was hooked. I purchased just about every figure released...probably because of that dang "collect them all" mentality that often sets in. However when I first saw the solicitation images of Scare Glow I could not wait to get him in my hands.

 photo BlogampCharticon173_zps1f7d85e6.jpg

Just look at this figure! Everything about it just screams awesome. Did I mention that he glows in the dark too? Whether or not Scare Glow is the ghost of Skeletor or just a ghost that Skeletor commands from time to time, this figure looks great. He comes with his Scythe of Doom and a chained weapon of some sorts. 

Mattel loved to re-use and re-color the various body parts used to comprise the plethora of Masters of the Universe figures so it should come as no surprise that Scare Glow shares Skeletor's legs and feet.

 photo BlogampCharticon174_zps49ee188b.jpg

The new, unique head sculpt is what really puts this figure over the top. The crack in the head, the recessed red eyes and the craggly teeth gives this guy a very spooky look...whether he's glowing in the dark or not.

The rest of his body is painted just like his vintage figure. He's got the full body look, but once the lights are turned off you've essentially got yourself a glowing skeleton! His purple cape is removable if you want more of that skeleton look.

 photo BlogampCharticon175_zps0ed482e0.jpg

I don't really know what this chained item is. Is it a weapon? Is it some sort of key? Al I know is that it attaches to his wrist via a bracelet and has a metal chain. On the end is a very intricate Castle Grayskull "carved" into the item.

While I don't collect Masters of the Universe figures anymore, this is one figure that I would've held onto had it not been for the amount of money he once commanded on the secondary market.

1 comment: